Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Quick & Easy Sugar Cookies for a Blustery Day

Time: About 30 minutes
Servings: About 25 cookies
Overall Rating: 6

I know I said my next recipe would be Macadamia-Encrusted Seitan, but that will still come next. I'm stuck home in yet another snowstorm (check out Twitter hashtag #snowhampshire), and my dog Cotton and I got a case of cabin fever this afternoon. We decided to bake something. Because a trip to the store would be difficult with the current road conditions, I figured sugar cookies would be simple enough to make with what I already had in the house.

A quick Google search yielded a Simple Vegan Sugar Cookies recipe on GroupRecipes.com. The only ingredient I didn't have was egg replacer, so I used 2 tablespoons of soy milk instead. See this article on NutritionMD.org for more egg replacer suggestions. To cut back on some of the fat and calories, I also subbed half of the oil with unsweetened applesauce.

My cookies needed 8 minutes rather than the 7 indicated on the recipe.

The result? Pretty good cookies for only about 30 total minutes of work (prep through cleanup). They will certainly suffice for a sweet tooth.

Please note: On my first batch, I only slightly flattened the cookie balls, as the recipe indicates; however, they didn't spread or flatten much, and the insides were a bit underdone. For the second batch, I flattened them quite a bit myself before cooking. These ones came out with a better shape and the inside was finished. You can see the difference in the picture (first batch on left, second batch on right).

Now my tasks for the rest of the afternoon include 1) to actually get some work done, and 2) try not to eat all of the sugar cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment