Sunday, February 13, 2011

Simple Mushroom Curry...Simply Full of Tomato

Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1...2 if you have a tiny stomach
Overall Rating: 5...read on for suggested improvements

I am lucky to have a husband that knows his way around the kitchen well. After a little encouragement (okay, nagging) on my part, I was able to convince him to make me dinner on Friday. Ryan chose Simple Mushroom Curry from VegWeb.com, which was indeed quite simple; he commented that the most time-consuming part was chopping the onion.

Seeing as I sat back and enjoyed a glass of pinot grigio, while Ryan cooked, I don't have too many insights as to how to craft this meal. It did smell mighty delicious in the short time it took to prepare.

However, the final product did not taste like a curry. While still tasty, the recipe simply tasted like a mushroom marinara sauce. Due to its ease, we will likely make a variation of this of this meal again; however, Ryan and I both agreed that we would add a lot less tomato paste and more of the spices (cumin, chili powder, turmeric, etc.).

My deceptive cook serving up the curry
Okay, PAUSE. Ryan just confessed that he left out both the coriander and the cilantro. He has some strange aversion to buying spices. Well, that tanks the credibility of this entry. I suppose I will have to do my blog cooking by myself moving forward...

But I can still advise you to make at least a double batch of this recipe if you're looking to feed more than one person. We served the curry over big portions of quinoa with sides of asparagus. Despite the sides, we were both left hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment