Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Vegan BLT ... & A

Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 1 sandwich
Overall Rating: 8

So I have now had sandwiches for dinner two nights in a row. That's what a good ol' Nor'easter and a fairly empty fridge will do for you. But no need to despair...I'm happy to say that both sandwiches (today's Vegan BLT & A and yesterday's Super Easy Chickpea (Chicken?) Salad) were scrumptious and thoroughly enjoyable to eat.

You're probably wondering what the "A" stands for in "BLT & A". Well, here it is: AVOCADO! One of my favorite foods (guacamole, anyone?) avocado is a great source of monounsaturated fat and is a good staple in your diet if you don't eat a lot of other fatty foods (high-fat meats and fish, dairy, etc.).

This recipe is somewhat of a cheat because it's more of a sandwich template than a recipe, but I bet you'll like it as much as I do.

Ingredients
  • 2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
  • 3 Slices Vegan Bacon (i.e. Facon), such as LightLife's Smart Bacon
  • Several Tomato Slices
  • 1/2 Avocado, Sliced
  • Handful Baby Spinach (I prefer nutrition-packed spinach to typical lettuce)
  • About 1 Tablespoon (or to taste) Vegan Mayo, such as Vegenaise
Cook your facon according to package directions. With Smart Bacon, I sprinkle a little (1 teaspoon-ish) oil in a sautee pan and cook on medium-low for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't burn. If it's a little oily when finished, blot with a paper towel.

Meanwhile, throw your bread in the toaster and toast to your preference. Slice your tomato and avocado. I find that the best way to slice avocado is to first cut it in half with a sharp, serrated knife (I heart my Cutco). Watch out--there is a big pit. Cut around the pit and twist the halves apart. Then slice the half you are using and peel the skin off each slice.

Spread your vegenaise on both pieces of toast and assemble your sandwich: facon, spinach (or lettuce), tomato...and avocado. You might want to just make two--I always want another when I'm finished.


2 comments:

  1. Please note: my husband Ryan made the last comment while signed on under my name. I do try to refrain from making my own self-aggrandizing comments :)

    ReplyDelete